Beef & Potato Stroganoff
5 large russet potatoes
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoon onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 pound ground beef
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1. Pierce the potatoes all over with a fork and microwave on high until cooked through, about 9 minutes.
2. In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and cook until golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in the onion , garlic and 3/4 cup water and boil to reduce the liquid by half, about 2 minutes; stir in the heavy cream and remove from the heat.
3. In a medium saucepan, brown the ground beef over high heat, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the mushroom mixture; season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Slice one-third off the top of each potato and chop the tops. Using a spoon, hollow out each potato, leaving a thick wall. In a microwavable bowl, mash together the chopped potato, potato centers and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper and reheat in the microwave.
5. Return the beef and mushroom mixture to a simmer. Stuff the hollowed potatoes with the beef mixture. Serve with the mashed potatoes.