Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Who doesn't like strawberry jam or banana & strawberry smoothies, strawberry ice cream, strawberry pie, spinach & strawberry salad. I am sure there are some but I love them all! Today was our first day out picking strawberries. It is about a week late but they are big and sweet. The farm about 5 miles down the road from us is run by an older gentleman who raises them without spraying. You have to pick through the weeds but when 1 quart is regularly $4.99 for organic I will gladly pick for $1.50 a quart. I also have 3 great helpers. We picked 29 quarts in 1 hour and we will go back at least one more time, depending on how many trips we take with friends.
Of course we eat many but I pick so I am able to put some up. Here are some tips to keep in mind when you get home from picking.
1. Never wash until you are ready to eat or use them!
2. Strawberries don't ripen after picking so pick red ones!
3. Wash, pick of the top, smash with your hands and freeze in bags by the quart. Now they are ready for making jam and that is one less step you will have to do the day of jam making!
4. Put the strawberries in the refrigerator as soon as possible!
5. Make sure you slice and freeze some for smoothies during the winter and you don't have to sugar pack them!
6. While picking the tops off sit under a tree and let the chickens eat them!
Get out there and find a strawberry patch and enjoy the fruits of your labor :)
Check out my soap selling blog for a post on making clothes soap and don't forget to follow so you don't miss any summer reading here!
You also have until 5pm today to vote at the Circle of Moms ~ Thanks!
Whole New Mom
Far Above Rubies
Time Warp Wife
We Are That Family
A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa