Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sunday Dec. 19, 2010

Today I am making sugar cookie dough to set up overnight. My small group girls are invited to my house for a night of decorating cookies, making dinner & watching a movie. I am still torn about which movie:
Anne of Green Gables (which NONE of these girls have seen???)
Come What May(movie made by homeschoolers,GREAT movie!) or
The Ultimate Gift(one of my favorites)

Anyways the dough has to set up so I will be in my kitchen today. Which is good. Lots of changes have occurred this past year. We bought a house & moved, started homeschooling a high schooler(have always homeschooled him but this year he is in 9th grade), started helping in the youth group, joined a new co-op... It has taken a toll on me actually. I found myself just getting through each day. Not that anyone would notice, it wasn't noticeable. But I could feel it. Even as I looked out my window and thanked God for what He had given I felt distant. I let my passion fall. I had to desperately call out for God to motivate me. To give back my heart's desires. He is. He is so faithful. I love the desires He places within me and fulfills.

The last time we went to Shipshewanna we bought a lot of hamburger meat and stew meat. You do know stew meat is just roast cut up right? So when I tell you to slow cook a pack of stew meat as you would a roast but for a shorter time you get me right? It will be even more tender too!

Coconut Oil Latkes
Shred 2lb. of peeled potatoes, squeeze moisture out, put in a bowl and add:
1/2 diced onion
8 eggs
6 tbsp brown rice flour (regular if you can have gluten)
salt & pepper
Take a handful and form a patty, fry in coconut oil on both sides.

Coconut Black-eyed Peas
If you have not soaked your beans overnight it is not a crime. I don't suggest to always do this but you can. Bring 1 cup black-eyed peas to a boil in water. Turn off heat, cover and let sit for a few hours. Drain and refill with fresh water and cook until tender. Now don't do that again!

Cut up 2 cups of potato and add to almost done beans so that they both cook together until done. You want the potatoes to still have form, we aren't making mashed potatoes here. Now drain the cooked peas & potatoes. Heat in a pan 2 tbsp coconut oil, add 3 cloves garlic minced, & 1tsp chili powder. Saute for a minute. Add 1 tbsp cumin,1 tbsp ground coriander, 2 tsp turmeric, 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro. Cook another minute or two. Add 1 cup unsweetened coconut. Add peas and potatoes. Add the juice of 1 lemon or 2 limes, salt & pepper. Heat thoroughly.

2 comments:

Raising Children Of Virtue said...

Hi Angela, I vote for Anne of Green Gables. Come what may was good too.... I liked the message in Ultimate gift but overall hands down Anne!!
Have fun with the girls!!
My son is alregic to milk also. How do you do it! I am struggling to figure out how to make foods dairy free.

Tom & Angela said...

Hi Tammi! Do you remember me? We use to sit and talk with Heidi at Upwards!!! It's Tammi Hall right? I think I am going to do Anne. I can't believe none of them have seen the movie.