Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Plain, old, unromantic Anne Shirley

Diana Barry: [Anne is going to apologize to Aunt Jo] Anne, don't. She'll eat you alive!
Anne Shirley: Don't worry. I've had lots of practice making apologies

Anne Shirley: [after saying her prayers] Did I do alright?
Marilla Cuthbert: Yes, if you were addressing a business letter to the catalogue store.

Anne Shirley: Plain, old, unromantic Anne Shirley

Marilla Cuthbert: I'm afraid for her, Matthew. She'll be gone so long. She'll get terrible lonesome.
Matthew Cuthbert: You mean, we'll get terrible lonesome.
Marilla Cuthbert: I can't help wishing that she'd stayed a little girl.
Matthew Cuthbert: Mrs. Spencer made a lucky mistake, I guess.
Marilla Cuthbert: It wasn't luck; it was Providence. He knew we needed her.
Matthew Cuthbert: Even with her queer little ways.
Marilla Cuthbert: I loved her for them.

Anne Shirley: Ruby Gillis says when she grows up, she wants to have a line of beaus on a string and make them crazy for her. I'd rather have one, in his rightful mind.
[Diana Barry then quickly, un-expectedly and immediately opened the Cuthbert's door, to ask for help with her little sister Minnie May Barry's near life-loss, with croup or phlegme, that was thickly in her throat]

Anne Shirley: I know I chatter on far too much... but if you only knew how many things I want to say and don't. Give me some credit.

Anne Shirley: Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

Anne Shirley: Can't you even imagine you're in the depths of despair?
Marilla Cuthbert: No I cannot. To despair is to turn your back on God.

[Gilbert Blythe, rowing a boat, found Anne clinging to the post under a bridge]
Gilbert Blythe: Anne Shirley. What in heck are you doing here?
Anne Shirley: [trying to sound dignified] Fishing, for lake trout.

[commenting on Anne's dramatic apology]
Rachel Lynde: Her tongue appears to be hinged in the middle, but she may turn out all right.

Anne Shirley: My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes. That's a sentence I read once and I say it over to comfort myself in these times that try the soul.


In these days of facebook I encouraged the girls lastnight to reclaim some of the lost art of language. This is an email I got today ;)

...the Christmas party at your house was a "fine kettle of fish" lol (i think that means good, right? lol there, i used somthin from Anne of green gables;) )

If you have never watched Anne of Green Gables I encourage you to check them out at your local library. There are 3 sets and each one is about 3 hours long. But I assure you that even after watching all of them you will want it to go on forever.

Merry Christmas! May God's goodness shine on you today!

No comments: