Saturday, December 18, 2010

Greetings & blessings to you!

Today has been a great day. It is 16 degrees out here in Valparaiso but the sun has been shining all day and the last count I had at cardinals out my window today was 12! Takes my breath away. I have been relaxing with either a cup of coffee or hot tea in hand all day. Out of curiosity I typed in my old blog and there it was. I mean I never deleted it but after a year I thought it would just disappear into cyber world. I sat reading old posts for an hour. Remembering, smiling, crying. I think I may even go back and use my old menus. I mean it is all ready and done for me. Except that since last posting our diets have changed. The boys had allergy screenings and in varying degrees are allergic to dairy and gluten. Fun. Makes for new reading choices that's for sure. I plan to share more about that later.

What's for dinner you ask? Tonight it is a baked hamburger patty (no bun) with a middle eastern rice salad.

Middle Eastern Rice Salad
1. Cook 3 cups dry brown rice according to directions.
In other words add 3 cups rice to 6 cups water with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, turn down, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
2. In a large saucepan heat 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil, 1/3 cup Bragg's or soy sauce, 4 garlic cloves minced and 2 tbsp peeled and grated ginger.
3. Add 3 cups green beans (frozen if not fresh-NO CANS) and 3 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed. Saute until brown.
4. Add 1 large onion sliced, and 1 green pepper chopped and saute until tender.
5. Blanch 3 cups broccoli in boiling water about 4 minutes. Drain.
6. Add to vegetable mixture, broccoli, 1 tbsp curry powder and 1 tsp salt.
7. Stir in the rice and serve.

Let me know if you try the rice salad and how you liked it!
Love, Angela

No comments: