Saturday, January 24, 2009

Monday 1/26

I buy dry goods from a co-op. So at any given time I will have 5# of beans, rice, oats...I have a 5# bag of lentils and a 5# bag of bulgar. This is why I am making them so often. I found this recipe for tomato bulgar soup and oh yeah, I also have a case of tomatoes on hand!

Tomato Bulgar Soup

3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 c finely chopped onions
1 c peeled and diced carrots
3/4 c diced celery (2 medium stalks)
2 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp ground fennel
2 c undrained canned tomatoes, chopped (16-ounce can)
1/4 c bulgur
ground black pepper to taste
[lemon wedges (optional)]
In a large soup pot, combine the vegetable stock, onions, carrots, celery,garlic, salt, dill, and fennel. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover,and simmer gently for about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and their juice.Add the bulgur and mix well. Return to a boil and simmer, covered, foranother 15 minutes, or until the bulgur is tender, stirring occasionally.Add pepper to taste.

[I served each bowl with a wedge of lemon to be squeezed into the soup asdesired.]

No comments: