Saturday, February 7, 2009

Saturday 2/14

Valentine's Day

Normally Tom makes dinner for me but this year I am making dinner for him. Yes I always cook but please understand. I love to cook. It is like taking away my right arm if I can't cook. I simply can't just sit and watch anyone doing it. I remember one year I put the table in the TV room, put on a heart table cloth, lite candles, made spaghetti and rented Lady & the Tramp. Yes we had the boys and we all loved it. I understand the need to have alone time with your spouse but we know one day that will come. We LOVE doing everything together and don't look at having to do everything with our children like we are missing out. Or like we are being deprived of something. People who know us, know we even like to grocery shop together! I LOVE my family and God. Happy Valentine's Day to you!

Maybe I will get One Night with the King for Tom and I to watch later. My favorite movie!

Peruvian Roast Chicken
Bacon Brussels Sprouts - search my blog for this, I gave it to you already
Sangria - special occasion
Coconut Cake & Ice Cream


Peruvian Roast Chicken
Daisy Martinez
From Every Day with Rachael RayFebruary 2009SERVES 4 Prep Time: 25 min (plus marinating)Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
6 cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
One 4-pound chicken, rinsed and patted dry
1. Using the flat side of a chef's knife, smear together the garlic and 2 tablespoons salt on a cutting board to form a paste; transfer to a small bowl. Stir in the oregano, ginger, cumin, 1 teaspoon pepper and the paprika. Stir in the vinegar.
2. Slide your fingers between the chicken skin and breast and loosen the skin from the meat, working your way to the legs. Spread the marinade under and over the skin and inside the cavity. Transfer to a gallon-size resealable plastic bag; refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°. Remove the chicken from the bag and place breast side up on a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a knife between the breast and the wing, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before carving.


Sangria
In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup frozen peaches, 1 cup frozen cherries and 1/4 cup sugar. Let stand until thawed, about 10 minutes. In a medium pot, bring one 750 ml bottle dry red wine, such as rioja, 2 whole star anise (optional) and the fruit mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 cup peach schnapps; discard the star anise, if used. Serve warm in mugs.

Toasted Coconut Cake
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/throwdowns-toasted-coconut-cake-with-coconut-filling-and-coconut-buttercream-recipe/index.html

No comments: