Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sunday Plan

Well here we are at the beginning of a new week. Can you see the theme for the week? Polish comfort food. My oldest son said the "w" word this morning. Winter. We have had to turn on the heat, which I hated. But we are keeping it at 63 at night so in the mornings it is a little chilly. We normally are out and about by this time on a Saturday morning but we slept in and are cuddled up on the couch with blanket in hand watching I Love Lucy. He then says it, "Mom It feels like winter is here." I do look forward to the many sledding days we will have and of course the big pots of chicken noodle soup, chili, tomato bisque... With the change of seasons there is a change in food as well. It becomes heartier, more filling. It makes you rest even. Know what I mean, it warms you and relaxes. Time for a good book and a cup of coffee and, "Hey kid get off my end of the couch!"

I am cheating with Pierogies. I do get them frozen. They are good though, I promise. Now the rest of the Polish recipes are homemade. Wanna have a good old fashioned Stuffed Cabbage assembly line going on Saturday morning? You are officially invited, for real! Let me know and we can really plan it.

Pierogies
Fill a big pot with water and bring to a boil. When it does drop about 5 in at a time and boil for about 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a plate to drain. Get a skillet going with butter and oil, either a canola or an olive oil, not virgin though. It should be about an inch deep. Brown the pierogies. Keep them in a warm oven and cut up a few onions, add them to the skillet and brown up the onions for about 10 minutes on med. low heat. Add these on top of the pierogies and don't forget the sour cream!

Green Beans
I add some olive oil, Bragg's and sesame seeds to a pot with green beans and simmer away(with a lid). We like our beans soft with no crunch left but cook them until how you like them.

No comments: