Saturday, October 18, 2008

Monday plan

So who all has the Pampered Chef stones? I have the medium bar pan. Actually I have 2. I use them for everything. No I don't sell Pampered chef (but I am having a party in February so friends this is your invite). I do sell Mary Kay though (so that was a plug). This past year we tried Brussels sprouts and the boys love them. Who knew? Now I do put a whole stick of butter in them but I am one of those weird butter eating, raw milk drinkers. So I say the more animal fat the healthier you are. (disclaimer, I may be wrong here but I don't think so ;o) We are trying to eat less bread needlessly. I say needlessly because some meals just require bread but I say save the bread for those meals and throw the hamburger bun out.

Hamburger patty
2 lbs meat for 5 patties
shape into patty and place on a stone or oven proof pan. Top with salt (sea salt) red pepper flakes and bake until done at 350. Top with your favorite cheese and melt.

Black Forest Brussels Sprouts
(courtesy of the new Rachael Ray magazine)
3 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
12 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions (about 1 pound), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the brussels sprouts for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes; drain, reserving the bacon fat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet, then stir in the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet and increase the heat to high. Add the brussels sprouts and cook, tossing, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the onions and half the bacon; season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining bacon.

No comments: