Monday, January 3, 2011

Cheeseburger Potato Soup

What a great beginning to 2011.  This week looks promising too, Tom is HOME!  We are taking a trip to Michigan, going to Whole Foods and looking forward to the remaining school year.  I am reading a cookbook, Simply In Season.  As I sit and look at the seed catalogs coming in to give me fresh hope I am loving this book.  Last year I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.  As I look at our garden plan it helps to look at what will be in season and try to plan so I will have enough to harvest and eat in season and enough to preserve.  I think it is wise to eat food in season.  I also think it is wise to eat food out of season that you have personally harvested and preserved.  So this week's menu I am  looking to eat food in season even if not here in Indiana as there is nothing growing.

Cheeseburger Potato Soup
Saute 2 tbsp butter , 1/2c onion and 1lb ground beef and cook until meat is done.

Add, cover and cook until tender:
3c potatoes, diced
2c broth (turkey today)
salt & pepper
1/4c celery, chopped
1/2c carrots, chopped
1/4 tsp smoked paprika

Mix together 2c milk or alternative in our case (almond milk) and 3tbsp flour or alternative in our case (arrowroot powder).  Add to soup.

When done, add your favorite hamburger cheese.  Mine is blue cheese!  You can also blend some of the mixture to make it creamier.
This serves 3-4 so with 3 boys I WILL be doubling it.

May God's face shine on you and me this year.

No comments: